BOARD OF DEACONS
First Presbyterian Church, St. Petersburg, Florida
(Approved by Session on 4/23/2012)
Deacons: The Ministry of Compassion and Service (G-2.02)
Deacon Defined (G-2.02010)
The ministry of deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone in distress. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, sincere compassion, and sound judgment should be chosen for this ministry
Duties of the Board of Deacons of First Presbyterian Church
1. To care for and communicate with members and constituents of FPC
- a. Maintain and regularly update the list of all shut-in members.
- b. Visit each shut-in once per month.
- c. Make telephone visits with all FPC members or families once per year to inquire about their well-being and/or needs.
- d. Provide a monthly report to the pastors of members with special needs.
- e. Make appropriate referrals to Stephen Ministry leaders.
2. To assume other duties as delegated by the Session, including assisting with the Lord’s Supper (G-2.0202, W-3.3616).
3. To maintain a book of minutes, recording board activities and decisions.
4. To prepare an annual report of activities for inclusion in the FPC Annual Report
5. To maintain the offices of moderator, vice-moderator, and recording secretary.
Terms of Service (G-2.0404)
Deacons shall be elected to serve terms of no more than three years on the Board of Deacons, and may be eligible for reelection according to congregational rule. However, no deacon shall be eligible to serve more than six consecutive years, and a deacon who has served six consecutive years shall be ineligible for election to the same board for at least one year. Election shall be to classes as nearly equal in number as possible, with the terms of only one class ending each year.
Once ordained and while they are active members of any congregation of this denomination, deacons not in active service on a Board of Deacons continue to bear the responsibilities of the ministry to which they have been ordained, except as provided in G-2.0406, G-2.0407, or in accordance with the Rules of Discipline.
Deacons currently serving:
Class of 2018
Class of 2019
Class of 2020